Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Velvet Underground - Squeeze (1973)

Released early in 1973, no founding member of the original Velvet Underground line-up was involved in production of this album, and since its release, it is discussed extensely: Is it the Velvets or not? As most commentaries I see it more as a Doug Yule solo project, for he wrote, arranged and produced it alone with a little help by Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice. Yule replaced John Cale after Lou Reed fired Cale between the group's second and third LP. The album definitely isn't as bad as many say. To my ears it prolonges the tradition of "Loaded", even though Doug as a songwriter can't really compete with Lou. But I still like the music, and if you're interested to learn more about it, you can read the whole "Squeeze" story on Wikipedia and on a well researched Website.

Tracks
  1. Little Jack
  2. Crash
  3. Caroline
  4. Mean Old Man
  5. Dopey Joe
  6. Wordless
  1. She'll Make You Cry
  2. Friends
  3. Send No Letter
  4. Jack & Jane
  5. Louise
Here

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to the website. Ian Paice, who would have thought that? Interesting! Loaded is my favorite VU-album and I think I already have this already somewhere, but just to be sure I will download & listen to it again.

    ReplyDelete