Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Randy Newman - Un Samedi en Decembre (1983)

I captured this one once by chance at eBay as a double pack in a regular LP cover together with (another) copy of "Trouble In Paradise". This live-in-the-studio-recording, taped on December 10, 1982, is a real gem.
randynewman.info says: In France, ["Trouble In Paradise"] was released with a unique limited-edition promotional album titled "Un Samedi en Decembre" (WEA PRO 1016) - "A Saturday in December" in English - issued to commemorate a television special aired that year. The album offers the unique experience of hearing Newman perform some of his classics in a studio with just vocal and solo piano ("Sail Away", "It's Money That I Love", "Rednecks") and others with full orchestral accompaniment ("Louisiana 1927", "Old Man", "Marie") most of which are faithful to the original studio album arrangements. Just how some of Newman's warmly sarcastic between-track asides ("I hope you love me ladies and gentlemen, cause I love you so much. I love Paris.") made it past the French engineers working on the project remains a mystery.
And in the end Randy closes the
piano cover, grumbles "Good night, thank you!" and leaves the studio.

Tracks:
  1. Ragtime (Thème du film)
  2. Louisiana 1927
  3. It's Money That I Love
  4. Sail Away
  5. Old Man
  6. Love Story
  7. Short People
  1. X Mas In Cape Town
  2. Rednecks
  3. Baltimore
  4. I Think It's Going To Rain Today
  5. You Can Leave Your Hat On
  6. Marie
  7. Ragtime
Here (artwork included)

No comments:

Post a Comment