Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reunion - Live Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me (1974 Single)

That one was fun back in 1974. I couldn't afford the single then, but I taped it from my favourite radio programme, and once a week DJ Werner Reinke played the top 20 charts without any talkovers. Of course I could not understand this song's lyrics completely, but I was deeply impressed by the singer's abilities. Much later I felt a little betrayed when I realized all the edits in the recording - and that initially he might be recorded slower. Anyway, that early rap stuff seems to be the only release by this "group" called Reunion (in fact "Yummy Yummy Yummy" singer Joey Levine and session musicians). It went to top 8 on the Billboard charts, and maybe there is another single, but they never made a longplayer.
I was very surprised when I heard a cover version pretty close to the original in my car radio in 1983 - Tracey Ullman singing "Life Is A Rock" as part of her album "You Broke My Heart In 17 Places". Now here you can compare them both. In addition you find Reunion's rare, though completely ridiculous reggae-stylish single b-side "Are You Ready To Believe".
Everything worth to be known about the song is mentioned here, including detailed comments about the almost complete lyrics. And, sure, Wikipedia shows up, too.

Tracks
  1. Reunion - Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)
  2. Reunion - Are You Ready To Believe [Vinyl Rip]
  3. Tracey Ullman - Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)
Here (artwork included)

1 comment:

  1. The single was also a (small?) hit in 1974 in Holland, where I live. I remember hearing it on the radio (I was 13 years old then) and asking my brother what the lyrics where all about. He explained the concept... I forgot about it (didn't even know the "band" was called Reunion) until I found it on Tracey's LP in the 80's and immediately recognized it. Nice to hear both of them side by side.

    ReplyDelete